Special NJ Laws for Commercial Vehicles

Commercial Vehicle Accident Attorney Serving Sussex County and All of Northern New Jersey

If you are injured in an accident involving a commercial vehicle in New Jersey, there are a few things you should know. While compensation in a lawsuit after an accident with another automobile is many times limited by law and the kind of insurance you have selected to cover your car, this law does not apply when a commercial vehicle has caused an accident.

New Jersey is a unique state. It has the greatest motor vehicle density in the country. That is, it has a high population per square mile, and a great number of vehicles. It’s not surprising that there are a lot of motor vehicle accidents, including accidents in Sussex County, Union County, Morris County and Hunterdon County. Not only that, many of our roads were built before the automobile, and are narrow and winding. This can make for dangerous driving, especially for larger vehicles. Additionally, many interstate and state highway crisscross our state, lending themselves to high speed travel and a lot of stop and go congestion on the roads.

Throw in the pressure some businesses put on their commercial drivers, and the speed, traffic congestion and distractions can lead to serious and fatal accidents. Truck driver negligence, or the bad practices of the trucking company can mean legal liability.

Limitation on Lawsuit Threshold

The law mentioned above is New Jersey's "Limitation on Lawsuit Threshold." Which is carried by most auto owners in New Jersey. Insurance Companies do not explain what it means and insurance agents and brokers are legally exempt from liability for failing to explain what it means. It means you can be severely restricted in your ability to recover non-economic damages (that is, pain, suffering, limitation of motion, change in life style, and other injuries).

It mandates that unless you prove you have suffered permanent injury, in a way prescribed by the New Jersey Auto Insurance statute, you have no right to recover from the person who injured you in a car accident. It applies to personal vehicles including motorcycles. It can be very difficult to obtain financial compensation. You need an attorney who knows the statutory law and the cases interpreting that law to tell you whether you can expect to successfully make a claim or file a lawsuit in your particular circumstances. Many times it takes months before we know. In the meantime, you have legal advice and counsel, and the insurance company will not take advantage of you.

Commercial Vehicles

However, the “Limitation on Lawsuit “(LT) law does not apply when a commercial vehicle (with a "commercial" license plate) has caused your injuries. The word "commercial" is actually stamped on the plate and visible. There will usually be an "X" as part of the license plate number. If you were injured in an accident with any truck, van, or even SUV or pickup truck with such a plate the limitation probably will not apply.

Contact me for further information on your potential claim or case.

It is a rare attorney that is willing to jump in the car and drive across the state to meet with you. But I know that many injured people are now without a vehicle, or the ability to drive. A prescription drug may prevent you from driving. I have a reputation for responding to clients who need me, wherever in New Jersey they are. Call me about your case and I will meet with you wherever it is necessary.

My clients tell me that I have a comforting presence and a talent for teaching non-lawyers about the law "in plain English." I provide personal, responsive service to each client, answering all questions and phone calls promptly and clearly. You will never feel left in the dark. I know that this may be uncharted territory for you, and I need to supply enough information so you can feel comfortable with the process.

Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Sussex County

To schedule a free consultation, call 908-233-5800 or contact my office online. I will charge you no attorney fees unless I recover money for you.